On the evening of July 4th we had a bad lightning storm come through (it also had tornadoes in some areas, but not by us). Mom and I were up later that night than the others, and we heard a pop-pop-pop like gunshots - I thought is was just a crack of thunder, but mom said she thought lightning may have hit a tree. We couldn't tell, even though lightning lit up the sky almost like day! Sure enough, the next morning I was relating the lightning story to my siblings at breakfast, and I looked out the window as I was speaking and saw that one of our trees was down! It was a big one, but thankfully it wasn't THE big one (we have a HUGE cottonwood that would have made a hole in the ground if it had fallen!). We were glad that it didn't fall on the road, and that it wasn't close to the house. It did cause quite the excitement around here!

The main damage it caused was to our nicest pine in our tree line. It completely took off the branches on one side so the guys had to cut it down.
You can see the fallen tree on the bottom left of the below picture. It was big, but pales in comparison to the BIG cottonwood!!
More pictures coming soon about our Independence Day!!
2 comments:
Wow - scary! We were out of power for almost 22 hours Friday-Saturday after a major storm swept through our area on the 1st. Eek! That was interesting! We lost part of a tree, but thankfully God shielded us from further damage!
Ah, the joys of summer! :)
Wow, Taylor, 22 hours without power is no fun - especially with a large household! :-) I remember a huge 4th of July storm years ago, when there was 70mph winds and we had to go into the basement! I'm just glad we don't live in tornado alley. :-)
Have a great rest of the summer!
Post a Comment