I had a very interesting experience last Thursday - I had my wisdom teeth taken out!! (so you may not want to read my blog anymore because I don't' have any wisdom - ha ha ha) Anyway, I had to get up at 5:45am (and not eat or drink anything) to get ready and leave by 6:15. We finally arrived at the hospital around 7 (we were told to come at that time) but had to wait around for a half hour because the x-ray people didn't even open until 7:30! So around 7:45 I was finally getting my mouth x-rayed and then we went to the oral surgery department. I was naturally nervous, but pretty soon we were ushered into a small room where I sat on a dentist-like chair. A nurse prepped us on what to do and not to do once the surgery was done, and then mom went back to the waiting room and I followed someone to the surgery room. I was told to lay down on a bed and then one nurse put something on me to monitor my heart, I think, while another stuck an IV in my arm. Then the one who stuck the IV in me told me that in a few seconds I was going to feel like my eyes were really droopy, and that I could close them. So, after a few seconds, my eyes did feel droopy and I did close them, and the next thing I knew I was in a strange room wondering where I was, and coughing! Two nurses were on either side of me and one was putting this lotion stuff on my dry lips. I think I was coughing because mom said they probably put something down my throat (isn't that nice to think of!). Soon I remember where I was and started feeling pretty uncomfortable with swollen cheeks and gauze sitting in the back of my mouth (and still feeling rather woozy!). It was interesting, however, to listen to the nurses conversation. :-) After a little while one of the nurses came over and gave me a pill and some water. I was probably in the recovery room 40 min. - 1 hour. Oh, and I also had an ice pack around my face (I'm sure I looked just wonderful!). When my time was done in the recovery room they put me in a wheelchair (!) and rolled me into a small room. Mom came in and then a nurse explained a few things and gave me extra gauze and some other stuff. Then mom went to pull up the car, and a nurse was supposed to bring me down in 5 minutes, I think, but I waited in that room for about 20 before I was finally put in a wheelchair (both fun and embarrassing at the same time!) and wheeled down to the car. I hope I'm not boring you all with details, but if you ever have to get your wisdom teeth out, at least you'll know exactly what to expect!! :-)
When I arrived home all my siblings and my dad had made me nice get well cards and put up a couple of welcome home signs. :-) Mom had also bought me a little present and a card. Thanks everyone!
So, I spent most of Thursday and Friday laying around, eating jello and broth, watching movies, napping, reading etc. I still am not allowed to eat things like popcorn or chips, but otherwise my diet is pretty much back to normal. I had to wear gauze for two days, and had to sleep with my head elevated. My cheeks were quite swollen and you can still see a bruise on my right cheek. Here's two pictures - in the first one I look just awful, and the second one was taken on Sunday. It looks like I got in a fight! :-)


Thankfully I'm doing a lot better now. BTW, I had to have all three of my wisdom teeth removed (I don't even have a fourth one) because they were impacted. So, I guess that's the end of my exciting adventure! :-)
Have a very MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
3 comments:
Sounds like fun... ;-)
Hi! I hope you get well soon! I can sympathize b/c I had my wisdom teeth removed a couple years ago - very painful! My parents wanted to do some shopping afterwards since we don't get to GF very often, so I ended up sitting in a waiting area in the mall with a blanket and ice cream pail and gauze in my mouth!...Very glad I didn't see anyone I knew! Anyway, I think I met you a couple years ago at a homeschool convention, and I just happened to find your blog - Naomi
Hey Hannah! I hope and imagine you are feeling better by now.
Oh, and you didn't bore me with all the details. lol
Post a Comment