Monday, July 16, 2012

Puppy Update

Well, friends, I've got some good news and bad news about the expected puppies . . . first, the good news is that my dog (Mercy) is doing great! The bad news is she had to have an emergency c-section late Sunday night and into Monday morning. So I got two hours of sleep this morning. :-)

Here we are at the clinic before she heads back for surgery

 
Caleb and mom came along and we kept each other company while waiting (and of course we drank coffee to keep awake!!!)


More bad news . . . . Mercy had four puppies inside of her, and three were already dead. It was heartbreaking to hear, and we were all REALLY disappointed. We were all hoping for more than four (she was looking rather big!), and for them to all be alive! BUT, the good news is that an adorable, healthy, strong, kicking little girl is still alive!!! :-)

As you can imagine, she's very precious to all of us and we're doing our best to insure that she makes it through the first delicate weeks of life. We've decided to keep her in memory of Mercy's mother who passed away in February. Continued prayers would be appreciated that she keeps growing strong without any problems!


Mercy FINALLY started attaching to "puppy" today and allowed her to nurse without me having to hold her down. She was afraid of "puppy" at first and wasn't sure where on earth she'd come from!! :-)

Now they are very contented with each other. :-)

 
Posted by Picasa

Any ideas for a name for our new little sweetie?

9 comments:

Lindsey,Alyssa and Carly said...

Congrats guys! At first when I got your text I thought there was 7 total and 3 had died... :(

Hope about Grace for a name? ;)

Hannah said...

Thank you!! We'll put the name on our list. :-)

Amy W. said...

I am sorry to hear about the bad news, but so glad one puppy is alive and Mercy is doing well! :) I hope that puppy continues to do well and grows into a wonderful family dog for you all!!

Blessings!
~Amy

Rachel said...

Congratulations! She's just beautiful and sooo cute!!:) I'm so sorry about the other three puppies though:(

Hannah said...

Thanks Amy and Rachel! The puppy is doing really good so far and we can't wait to see her eyes open in about 10 days! :-)

TaylorGarms said...

Oh, I'm so sorry about the puppies, Hannah! On Sunday evening I was impressed to pray for you and Mercy, and now I know why.

But I am so thrilled to hear about the surviving puppy! Wonderful! I thought of some names you could use as reminders to yourself: "Promise" (to recall God's promises to you), "Trust" (to always trust in the Lord with all your heart, soul, and mind - though it's a little hard to imagine calling a dog "Trust"!)...and then I also liked the name "Selah" - though it doesn't really have a significant meaning! Just a few crazy suggestions! :)

Well, get some sleep, Grandma Hannah, and I hope someday I can meet both of your puppies. :)

Lots of Love,
Taylor

Hannah said...

That's so neat, Taylor, how God impressed you to pray! Thank you!

And thanks for the "crazy" suggestions . . . we'll put those on the list too!! It's good you have another excuse to come visit us now - to hold "puppy" and see Mercy (that is, if she'll let you get close!!). ;-)

~Grandma Hannah :-)

Rachel Redman said...

Cute puppy, Hannah! Sorry about the other ones that didn't make it; our mama dog is not a natural mother so we've lost a good portion of our puppies each litter...I can sympathize:)

Mercy looked quite calm despite having to go to the clinic. Does she do well at the vet? One of our dogs knows that going to the vet means she gets a hamburger for good behavior after, so she actually likes it! ~Love, Rachel

Hannah said...

Thanks Rachel! Actually, Mercy hates going to the vet and does NOT like to be separated from me there! :-) When the vet tech took her back she had to drag her! She probably looked somewhat calm in the picture because I was there with her. :-) That's a great idea to give your dog a treat for going to the vet!! :-)