Like I said, we left on Wednesday, at 11:00am. Our van needed fixing, so we ended up switching vehicles with a friend. Dad and my younger siblings rode in that vehicle (which was pulling an extremely full trailer) while mom and I drove in the car behind. All of a sudden, we saw dad (who was ahead of us) pull over, so we quickly did the same. I was worried about what the problem was since earlier we had smelt a burning smell. When the kids got out they told us that smoke was filling the cabin, and dad said that a hole had burned in the floor on the driver's side. Thankfully nothing caught on fire. So . . . we had to dig our friend's number out of the back of the car, and they had to meet us in Fargo so we could switch back to our van!! While we were getting their number out, someone left an important box on the side of the highway, and we all completely forgot about it until we were waiting to meet our friends in Fargo!! So mom and I drove back to get it, and thankfully it was still there, unharmed (if you look closely in the picture below, you can see the white box by the side of the road). What an adventure to start our trip!! A big thank you to the R. family for going through all that trouble for us! :-)
We finally arrived in Jamestown that afternoon around 2:30. We settled into our hotel and then went out to eat with the Bartlett family. We had a fun evening jamming and visiting with them. (You can view the links to their blogs on the side of my blog)
Thursday was a very busy day. Mom, dad, Caleb and Daniel went over to the Civic Center to help set up while I stayed back. Then we had lunch and by 2:30 I went over to the Civic Center to set up my booth. I had two tables - one for my card business, my book, and harp CD (www.gloryandgrace.com), and the other was for some items a friend of mine crocheted, and for my mom's new modest wedding dress business (http://www.gloryandgrace.com/modestweddingdresses.htm). Daniel also had a table where he sold many items - rubber band guns, wooden toys, crossbows, bows, mini wooden swords and shields, and more! Daniel sold a LOT of his things!! I . . . sold hardly anything (but a big thank you goes to Mrs. S. for buying some cards from me - I promise I won't post that picture I took of you!). :-)
On Friday we got up early and went over to the Civic. The convention was now officially open, with many vendors, lots of workshops, and a keynote speaker - Mike Farris.
I walked around the vendor hall with friends, listened to George Escobar's workshop on filmmaking (you can visit his website at http://www.adventfilmgroup.com/Home.html)
That afternoon some friends and I prepared snacks (thanks for helping with that, everybody!) and that evening for supper we had pizza and cupcakes for Lydia's birthday (more on that in a future post). It was SO much fun getting together with friends - old and new!
Saturday was pretty much a repeat of Friday - a lot of different workshops, another great message by George Escobar, fun walking around the vendor hall, and again, my favorite part - visiting with friends! For lunch Maria U., Andrea S. and I had a very good time talking with Mr. Escobar about filmmaking - he gave us a lot of great tips on cameras, lighting, editing software and more! I was going to play a song for offertory with the U. girls, but Maria had had the flu the day before and wasn't sure if she would be strong enough to do it. So we asked The Bartlett Boys to do it instead, and they did a great job! You can view the movie of them playing at Jonathan's blog - http://www.jonathanjbartlett.blogspot.com/. Below is a picture of their latest CD.
Saturday evening and Sunday morning we had a fun time visiting some more with the Bartletts - jamming, playing games, and going out to Perkins for brunch! We made it home safely early Sunday afternoon. We are so thankful to God that everything well and that we were kept safe! A HUGE thank you also goes out to all the volunteers - we couldn't have had the convention without you! By the way, next year's convention will be in Fargo at the Holiday Inn - and I'm already looking forward to it! :-)
3 comments:
Thanks for posting all those pictures of the convention--since we didn't have our camera, we haven't been able to show Mom and David anything of what it was like, so now I'll tell them to check your blog out. :-) We had a lot of fun, too, and are looking forward to next convention as well.
Thanks for sharing about the convention, since I missed it! You took some great photos.
We didn't make it to the convention this year, but it looks like it went well :)
Post a Comment