Thursday, February 26, 2009

Random Quotes and Pictures

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” — Benjamin Franklin



“Truth is not determined by majority vote.” — Doug Gwyn



“The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.” — Thomas Jefferson



“Every man is guilty of all the good he didn’t do” — Voltaire



“For most Americans the Constitution had become a hazy document, cited like the Bible on ceremonial occasions but forgotten in the daily transactions of life.” — Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr. – (1888-1965)




An elder Cherokee Native American was teaching his grandchildren about life. He said to them, “A fight is going on inside me…It is a terrible fight, and it is between two wolves. One wolf represents fear, anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, pride and superiority. The other wolf stands for joy, peace, love, hope, sharing, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, friendship, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. This same fight is going on inside of you and every other person too.”

They thought about it for a minute and then one child asked his grandfather, “Which wolf will win?” The old Cherokee simply replied…“The one I feed.” — Anonymous



“My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you’ll join with me as we try to change it.” — Barack Obama



“Past the seeker as he prayed came the crippled and the beggar and the beaten. And seeing them…he cried, ‘Great God, how is it that a loving creator can see such things and yet do nothing about them?’...God said, ‘I did do something. I made you.’ “ — Sufi Teaching


4 comments:

Andrea said...

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
~Edmund Burke

Great quotes, Hannah. And awesome pictures!!!

Anonymous said...

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
~Gandalf the Grey.

I know that's a quote by a fictional character, but so good nonetheless! :) Lovely, inspiring quotes. And what beautiful pictures! Did you take them, Hannah? Thanks for posting this!

Your sister in Christ, Grace P.

Anonymous said...

I hate the picture of the snake! but like all the others! - especially the petunia one (at least, I believe it's a petunia) and the one with the flower on the Bible. And I "love" that quote from Obama...Since leaving quotes seems to be the theme for this post - I'll give you one of my favorites -

The future of a country is safe only in the hands of those to whom the past is dear - anonymous

Hannah said...

Thank you everyone for sharing those quotes!! Yes, Grace, I did take the pictures. I really enjoy photography, although I have a lot to learn. :-) My camera is a Sony DSC-H1.