For those of you who read Part 1 . . .
The thing that President Washington and I have in common is our red hair! And not only that, we both have blue eyes as well. :-) There are no paintings of him with his red hair very visible because he either had a hat on or had gray/white hair. His hair turned gray during the Revolutionary War and white during the presidency. He left his BEAUTIFUL home - Mt. Vernon - to serve our country for the majority of his life. He was one of our finest American heroes.
The thing that President Washington and I have in common is our red hair! And not only that, we both have blue eyes as well. :-) There are no paintings of him with his red hair very visible because he either had a hat on or had gray/white hair. His hair turned gray during the Revolutionary War and white during the presidency. He left his BEAUTIFUL home - Mt. Vernon - to serve our country for the majority of his life. He was one of our finest American heroes.
We had THE BEST food at the Mount Vernon Inn! Rice, veggies, and chicken stuffed with apples, figs and walnuts. YUM!
We were able to see the monuments at night, which was amazing! It was quite a long walk between them, though, so we got pretty exhausted and didn't make it to all the monuments. I especially liked the Lincoln Memorial because of it's grandness, and the Washington Monument reflecting in the pool was amazing too.
One other place we were able to visit was Arlington National Cemetery The changing of the guard ceremony was incredible, and it was interesting to see Kennedy's grave site and the Robert E. Lee mansion.
Some artist depicted George Washington as a king or a god on the very top of the Capitol Building's dome . . . I know that President Washington would not have appreciated that!
And of course the real reason we went to D.C. was for the Open Doors' events! The first was a meeting at the Press Club where several people shared about the top 50 countries on the World Watch List (these are not the ONLY countries, but just the top 50). North Korea has been NUMBER ONE for 11 years now, and a few countries, such as Tanzania, jumped from not being on there at all, to being number 24.
I was THRILLED to meet Brother Andrew himself! Wow! It's like history coming alive! If you've ever read the book God's Smuggler, you'll know what I mean. And if you haven't read it, quit reading this blog and go get yourself a copy at the library - NOW! ;-)
That afternoon we went to a church to set up for an event where several people spoke on persecution. Not only would I highly recommend God's Smuggler, but I would also tell you to go get yourself a copy of The Insanity of God. Yes, that's an interesting title, but you'll have to find out for yourself what's on the inside!
I was so privileged to be sitting with such a hero of the faith for dinner . . . what a neat experience! I asked him what was one life lesson he would want to pass on after all his adventures (including being sentenced to death once!!) and right away he said, "To be more radical! I wish I wouldn't have compromised as much." And that's coming from one of the most radical people I've ever read/heard about!
I very much enjoyed hearing the various speakers, including Brother Andrew.
He's very spry and humorous!

5 comments:
What an amazing experience you had! We've read God's Smuggler, although it's been a while already, so maybe it's time to dig it out for a reread. :) We were very pleased a few months back to give overnight lodging to a man (a friend of my mom's cousin) who worked with Brother Andrew----to hear stories first hand was truly amazing!
You'll be missed at family camp! I hope to see you at the convention though. :)
You got to EAT with Brother Andrew!!! God's Smuggler is my favorite book! I am so glad you had a good trip and are home safe!
Blessings,
Emily
Cora - yes, I dug my copy of God's Smuggler out for a re-read before we went (and rediscovered how amazing it was!), and I even bought a nice hardcover copy for Brother Andrew to sign! :-) Looking forward to seeing you at the convention!
Emma Lou - I know! I never would have guessed in my wildest dreams that something like that would have happened. :-) Thanks for commenting, and I hope to see you soon!
Oh wow, it looks amazing! That's all I can say :)
Awww, thanks Gwendolyn. It was the trip of a lifetime and something I never expected. It was DEFINITELY amazing. ;-)
Post a Comment